[License-discuss] Discussion: AGPL and Open Source Definition conflict

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Wed Aug 14 17:08:19 UTC 2019

I'm curious if this is simply a drafting/interpretation issue, or something else.  For example, if Section 13 of AGPL said:

"if you modify the Program, you must prominently offer all users interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if your version supports such interaction) an opportunity to receive the Corresponding Source of your version by providing access to the Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge, through some standard or customary means of facilitating copying of software."

Instead of

"if you modify the Program, *your modified version* must prominently offer all users interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if your version supports such interaction) an opportunity to receive the Corresponding Source of your version by providing access to the Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge, through some standard or customary means of facilitating copying of software."

I always understood the intent of this clause was that if your modified Program was offered for remote interaction to users, then those users should have a way to get the source, not that the actual modified program had to provide the mechanism to get the source.