[License-discuss] Ethical + Support license addition for Apache

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Fri Aug 9 14:23:16 UTC 2019

To Ofer's new suggestion making registration a condition: no. That does not
work, either by the letter or, or the spirit of, open source.

I'd *love* to know who uses our code. If we run a meetup for an open source
project we run, we ask people on our message boards to speak (and they tell
us they use our code and want to share how and ideas they have to improve
it). But it's not a condition of use. We want to allow a person to
experiment, test, explore, and if they see fit, reject using our code
without forcing them to tell us. We encourage them to tell us about their
use of our code, by asking. But it's up to them to do so.

So much like the "please do good things" is a great idea to put in a
readme, "please let us know if you use this code" is also a great message
to put in a readme or contributing file. You can give them a laptop sticker
in return. But please don't put it in a legally binding license agreement
since I don't want to be obligated to tell you what I do.

Gil Yehuda: I help with external technology engagement

>From the Open Source Program Office
<https://developer.yahoo.com/opensource/docs/> at Yahoo --> Oath - ->
Verizon Media