[License-discuss] Ethical + Support license addition for Apache

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 20:11:59 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, 11:44 Ofer <blueofer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me clarify, I don't determine that, you do :-)
> You use the code, you "Make sure your use of the software complies with
> your own ethical standards", and you decide on the support $ amount.

You appear to have confused readme.txt and license.txt . There is nothing
that disallows a request for donations to be included in a software
distribution, but the OSD disallows demanding royalties or restricting
fields of use.

Ethics is so subjective, that it is hard for it to have any meaning in a
legal context.  Things which aren't about the law and enforceability under
the law have no place in license.txt, and only generate confusion.