[License-discuss] GPLv3 'permanent' license reinstatement?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Oct 25 01:38:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:03 PM Kevin P. Fleming <kevin+osi at km6g.us> wrote:

Time passes, things change. I may be in full compliance with the
> license for years, during which time my license has been 'permanently
> reinstated' according to the text. "cease all violation of the
> License" indicates a point at which I have returned to being in full
> compliance, not an ongoing state of affairs (at least in my layman's
> understanding of these words). If the "cease all violation" trigger
> addresses an indefinite period of time, then its value as a trigger
> seems to be vanishingly small.

The reinstatement is permanent in the sense that it does not expire after a
period of years or at the whim of the licensor.  That does not mean that
your rights cannot be revoked again if you behave badly again.

                Clear all so!  `Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)