[License-discuss] GPLv3 'permanent' license reinstatement?

Kevin P. Fleming kevin+osi at km6g.us
Wed Oct 24 19:14:07 UTC 2018

Section 8 of the GPLv3 says this:

You may not propagate or modify a covered work except as expressly
provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to propagate or
modify it is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under
this License (including any patent licenses granted under the third
paragraph of section 11).

However, if you cease all violation of this License, then your license
from a particular copyright holder is reinstated (a) provisionally,
unless and until the copyright holder explicitly and finally
terminates your license, and (b) permanently, if the copyright holder
fails to notify you of the violation by some reasonable means prior to
60 days after the cessation.

<snip>

As I read this, if I violate the license terms, notice my own
violation, cure it, and at no time does anyone else notify me of my
violations, then my license is reinstated *permanently*. If the
reinstatement is indeed permanent, how could it ever be terminated
again if I begin violating the terms again?