[License-discuss] "Channelized" Open Source Licensing

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Fri Oct 19 19:31:25 UTC 2018

Peter Corless dixit:

>Party C, meanwhile, can do whatever they want to the OSS, since they have
>no legal license obligation back to Party A. Their access is provided

Yes, of course: the act of running the program is not restricted,
and the user only interfaces with it.

>through Party B. They could, theoretically, violate the license Party A
>distributed their software under, since they are just using it.

No, for two reasons:

1. Without a licence, a person does not have any rights in a work.

2. Even so, if the person receives a copy of the work, the licence
   is attached to it. In a “cloud user” scenario, they don’t get
   access to the work itself (software), just interface with it
   via an API of some sort.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt