[License-discuss] Oracle Java Mission Control (JMC) became open-source May 2018, I have some license questions.

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 14:55:00 UTC 2018

On 06/15/2018 09:19 AM, Michael Wu wrote:
> Hi
>

> I read in this article that JMC became open-source around May 2018.
>
> https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/06/open-source-jmc
>

> If I’m correct then JMC uses the open-source UPL license.
>
> https://opensource.org/licenses/UPL
>

> What does the open-source UPL license say about *“for commercial use”*
> situations?  I’m having trouble understanding the lawyer lingo.

IANAL, this is not legal advise, you should talk to your own counsel for
a definitive answer.

The UPL explicitly grants permission to "make, use, sell, offer for
sale, import export, have made, and have sold the Software and the
Larger Works". In English, this means that you may sell works under this
license without restriction.

As a matter of practice, this is true for any license approved as an
Open Source license by the OSI. The Open Source Definition (#1) requires
this.

Hope that helps,

~tom