[License-discuss] Mixed 5yr non-open then fully open license

John Dupuy john at cattailcreek9.com
Mon Jul 30 20:40:52 UTC 2018

As I could not find anything comparable, I actually wrote a new license last year I called "MR5A". I used it for my first mobile app, which I'm distributing on Google Play. I'm now using on a few more applications. A few folks I know are considering using it.

But, before things keep going ... and I know the last thing the world need is yet another license ... I'd like to ask he experts on this list a few questions:

1. Is there a license similar to this anywhere else? If so, I'll adopt that one and suppress this one.
2. Do you see any huge downsides to this license?

Details: https://www.makerredux.com/license/MR5.html

This is a two-phase license:
  A. For 5 years it is a commercial license. The source code is merely viewable for educational purposes, but is not open.
  B. After the 5 year expiration, the source code becomes fully permissive open source.

The license states explicitly that any code added during the 5 years does not change the expiration deadline. So any new code or changed code is commercial for LESS than 5 years.

The license also includes assets such as pictures and sounds if they are part of the source code "repository".

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance on any advice or feedback!

--
  John Dupuy
  john at cattailcreek9.com