[License-discuss] Proposed license decision process

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Dec 28 20:52:13 UTC 2018

Nigel, thanks for your suggestion. I am still concerned because "consideration" can sometimes be very painful. (Example: "I'll license you my open source software including all of my patents, but you must give me rights to all of your patents.")

The issue is who – if anyone – will pay that consideration? The OSD doesn't allow any downstream licensee (of a copy or derivative work) to be obligated to pay anything at all for her own copies, even if she later sells them to third parties. That downstream licensee needn't even share her own software, although she must obey non-discriminatory license conditions such as copyleft and attribution and access to the source code. Those copies are "free" in all monetary, or monetarily-equivalent, ways.

So, who pays consideration in an open source transaction? No downstream licensee is obligated to share her own software or pay any other consideration. Requiring her to do so would be requiring extra consideration for that open source (free) work. She may have accepted non-discriminatory conditions to copyleft and attribute (etc.) her copies and derivative works. But she won't pay one peppercorn for the right to make those copies and derivative works.

Hence the definition of "open source software" including a prohibition on consideration paid by downstream licensees to distribute; that protects downstream users from having to pay for free software.

Why do I say that "the sharing of open source software among users worldwide is consideration enough"? Who pays it? There is a worldwide community of millions of people who share their open source software ("licensors") who impose and accept license conditions to share their open source software with the world; others share it for free without copyleft and other license conditions.

But those millions of people never collect consideration for those downstream copies or derivative works. Sharing alone (with non-discriminatory license conditions) is consideration enough to share.

In all other respects, the payment of money (or equivalent) by a licensee to a licensor for a single copy of an open source work is completely legitimate. (Example: "Buy one copy from the developer for $1M, sell 2 million copies at $1 each.")

All that said, I'm more than willing to give permission to this online community to improve this definition in any way. CC0 perhaps?

“Open source software” means software actually distributed under terms that grant a copyright and patent license from all contributors to the software for every licensee to access and use the complete source code, make copies of the software or derivative works thereof and, without payment of royalties or other consideration, to distribute the unmodified or modified software.

/Larry