[License-discuss] Proposed license decision process

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Dec 14 05:23:26 UTC 2018

Nick Weinstock wrote:
> If a license says "You have a license to use my Trademark on the condition
that you pay me $XYX" is the money consideration or a condition of the
license?  What if it says "You will have a license to use my Trademark as
long as you continue to pay me $XYZ per month," does that change whether the
money is consideration or a condition of the license?

An IP aside: In both cases, those statements would invalidate the trademark!
:-(  In the U.S., one cannot "barely" license a trademark - for money or any
other consideration - without retaining control and approval over its uses
and over the software it brands. That attempt at the licensor's continued
contractual control over the downstream quality of the software would also
invalidate the license itself as open source; the software is restricted in
some ways to the downstream licensees by the upstream trademark owner.
That's a bad license for several reasons. (I'm not an expert trademark
attorney, so maybe Pam Chestek will confirm this for us.)

I'm aware that the term "consideration" has subtle legal meanings, including
in other countries. I think I mean something that can reasonably be valued
as money by the original licensor, even if in bitcoins or future promised
revenue (or "peppercorns <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppercorn_(legal)>
" <-- follow that link). Does that help us distinguish it from a
"condition"? According to the OSD, we accept non-discriminatory license
conditions but not consideration in any "monetary" form for the downstream
right to distribute copies and derivative works. Remember, though, if the
proposed license itself is confusing about the distinction, OSI reviewers
can ask for clarification and rewording.

The sharing of open source software among users worldwide is consideration
enough for all of us to enforce our licenses!

/Larry