[License-discuss] License-discuss Digest, Vol 78, Issue 4

Bruce Perens bruce.perens at opensource.org
Wed Aug 8 05:50:26 UTC 2018

This came up for me regarding an automobile media center containing Linux
and other Free Software. It seemed to me that this part would eventually be
traded by auto dismantlers, etc. My customer was a major auto part
manufacturer with deep pockets and potentially many automobile brands
integrating the part. I told them to fulfill the source code distribution
responsibility for all downstream parties, and to publish contact
information for their dealers, etc. to use if anyone asked about "source
code", and ultimately it's on their public web site. As far as I'm aware,
this is the default which very many manufacturers of retail items have
settled upon.

There are things you should consider before distributing the source code
with the product. Nobody keeps the box, the manual, and the included
software CD. These things go in landfills. If you convey the source code on
the products own storage media, about 1 in 10,000 users is going to
download it before erasing it, and you've made the product that much harder
to install for the other 9999 by adding an additional step of deleting the
source code. And then when some user figures out that they _do_ want the
source code, it's gone, and the manufacturer can say "I gave it to you
once" instead of providing it online.

The burden of providing source code on a web site is not a high one. It's
overstating to call it "unlimited liability", even if it may be a
never-ending task.

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP - CEO, Legal Engineering
Standards committee chair, license committee member, co-founder, Open