[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: (no subject)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Sep 5 15:28:21 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) <
cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> The issue is that
> 'voluntary' doesn't mean the same thing as 'gratuitous'; I work for the
> Government on a voluntary, but not gratuitous basis.

I certainly hope that nobody in the U.S. works for the Government or
anyone else on a non-voluntary basis, "except as a punishment for crime
whereof the party shall have been duly convicted".

If I, as a Government
> employee, accept work from a volunteer without a well-defined contract in
> place regarding payment, there is a chance that someone could send
> Congress a
> bill for their contributions, and I could be sent to jail for having
> committed
> funds I don't have.

Though nobody has ever been prosecuted, much less sentenced, under the ADA.
In any case, anyone can send a bill to Congress for any reason: whether it
gets
paid is another story.  Francis Hopkinson sent a such a bill for designing
the
American flag, asking to be paid a "Quarter Cask of the Public Wine", but
Congress denied it on the grounds that Hopkinson was already a paid member
of Congress at the time.

Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic
realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets, theologians, philosophers,
philologists, psychologists, biologists and neurologists, along with
whatever blood can be got out of grammarians. - Russ Rymer