[License-discuss] (no subject)

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Fri Sep 1 16:26:30 UTC 2017

Tom,

I disagree that you can’t get useful adoption without contributions from non-federal entities.

The NASA WorldWind Java API project (https://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov) didn’t take in any external contributions for a very long time (if ever) but did see reasonably high adoption until Java desktop apps were largely replaced by webapps.  You can do cathedral development and release via a GOSS license (NOSA) and still provide significant value to the user community.

With an OSS license release I can “clone and own” moving forward and accept upstream changes as desired even if the upstream developer never takes any of our pull requests.  We leverage Core Flight Executive (cFE) from NASA Goddard in that manner.  Goddard uses cFE for their cFS flight system where we use cFE as the foundation of our own flight software system.

UCL (upstream compatibility license) was recently approved by the OSI. The original body of work is licensed UCL while all new derivative works must be licensed Apache.  It doesn’t force the downstream to provide the upstream developer with fixes and changes but if it’s put into an external repo the original upstream developer has rights to use the new work because of Apache.  The intent was if an entity (like say a federal agency) released a large completed project as open source that it could never get locked out of downstream modifications made by the OSS community.  The core code is always UCL and the new derivative changes are always Apache.

If we used GPL, all the downstream modifications would be GPL.  If we pulled that back into the original project then it becomes potentially problematic for commercial performers to integrate in their proprietary code.

If we used Apache then the downstream modifications are not certain to be FOSS.

So downstream derivative modifications are virally permissive…I hope anyway as that was the intent.

Regards,

Nigel