[License-discuss] MakeHuman, CC0 and AGPL

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Oct 25 14:04:32 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Lindsay Patten <blindsaypatten at gmail.com>
wrote:.

> My understanding of CC0 is that it is a declaration that you have placed
> the work in the public domain, with a fallback license in case the law in a
> particular jurisdiction doesn't permit that.  If the user takes the CC0
> option, what is the status of the individual assets that are bundled into
> the export?  Are they in the public domain or still copyrighted by the
> MakeHuman authors?

Those particular copies are effectively in the public domain, provided that
the MakeHuman folks actually hold copyright.  Third party copyrights are of
course unaffected.

> What I find confusing is whether CC0 is a license that can be applied to a
> particular copy of a work,

Every license is applicable only to particular copies.  The self-same bunch
of bits may have a commercial license for one copy that permits certain
acts and forbids others, and a GPL license on another copy which has
completely different conditions from the commercial license.  As long as
the licensor is the owner, that's just fine.  SImilarly, bits inside an
executable that have been compiled from a BSD source are (at least
arguably) under the GPL if other bits in the same executable come from
GPLed source.

The whole of Gaul is quartered into three halves.
        --Julius Caesar