[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Thu Mar 16 12:56:02 UTC 2017

All, I want to keep this alive as I haven't seen a conclusion yet.  Earlier I
asked if OSI would accept the US Government (USG) putting its non-copyrighted
works out under CC0 as Open Source **provided** that the USG accepts and
redistributes copyrighted contributions under an OSI-approved license.  Is
this acceptable to OSI?  Should I move this discussion to the license-review
list?

To recap:

1) This would only cover USG works that do not have copyright.  Works that
have copyright would be eligible to use copyright-based licenses, and to be
OSI-approved as Open Source would need to use an OSI-approved license.

2) The USG work/project would select an OSI-approved license that it accepted
contributions under.  The USG would redistribute the contributions under that
license, but the portions of the work that are not under copyright would be
redistributed under CC0.  That means that for some projects (ones that have no
copyrighted material at all initially), the only license that the works would
have would be CC0.

I can't speak to patents or other IP rights that the USG has, I can only
comment on what the Army Research Laboratory (ARL) has done
(https://github.com/USArmyResearchLab/ARL-Open-Source-Guidance-and-Instructions),
which includes a step to affirmatively waive any patent rights that ARL might
have in the project before distributing it.  I am hoping that other agencies
will do something similar, but have no power or authority to say that they
will.

Given all this, is it time to move this to license-review, or otherwise get a
vote?  I'd like this solved ASAP.

Thanks,
Cem Karan