[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: patent rights and the OSD

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Tue Mar 7 21:56:19 UTC 2017

That is true, but OSI can make it clear that when software is licensed, then the licensor is expected to license any necessary patents that the licensor owns along with licensing the copyright.  If there are patents that the licensor is unaware of, then the licensor can't do anything about that either.

And like you, I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Thanks,
Cem Karan