[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Wed Mar 1 17:21:18 UTC 2017

You've hit the nail on the head!  I personally want Government works to be Open Source, not open source.  That was the whole point of the ARL OSL being put forwards.  There are statutory and regulatory limits on what the Government can and cannot do; the lawyers I've talked with say that this is something we can do, which also protects Government interests (IP licensing, not getting sued for warranty/liability, etc.).

Is the concern that the **Government** is not licensing its patent rights?  ARL's internal process includes waiving any potential IP rights (including patent rights) in the software that is being released, so that should cover anyone downstream.

Thanks,
Cem Karan