[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Wed Mar 1 16:39:01 UTC 2017

I see your points about the Apache license vs. CC0, but the reason CC0 is more
palatable is because we're not trying to make any restrictions based on
copyright.  We're trying to meet the spirit of US law, and our lawyers believe
that CC0 has the best chance of doing that.

As to your second point, that is PRECISELY what I'm proposing.  The material
that has copyright attached will be accepted under the OSI-approved license
that the project controllers wish to use, and all other material will be
distributed under CC0.  This way the US Government is not claiming copyright
where none exists.

Thanks,
Cem Karan