[License-discuss] New maintainer, changing license?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Jul 29 10:53:35 UTC 2017

On 29/07/17 10:27, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> The copyright holder stopped working on the project in 2005.
> I am continuing the development, but do not have the copyright.

You should get the copyright owner to assign copyright to you, as,
currently, no-one is able to enforce the licence except for non-trivial
parts of the code contributed by third parties, given the current owner
seems to have lost interest.

If it is an important project, the FSF might also be willing to buy the
copyright for a token amount (one cent or one dollar), but I think that
would require that right in all contributions have been assigned to the
original owner.