[License-discuss] step by step interpretation of common permissive licenses

Massimo Zaniboni massimo.zaniboni at asterisell.com
Fri Jan 13 22:38:57 UTC 2017

On 13/01/2017 22:54, Massimo Zaniboni wrote:

> "Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for
> any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
> above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies."

... or more succintly, if we have this license:

"Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for
any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies,
and that the modified source code is released."

is this is a viral license, similar to the GPL? For me yes. Every time
you release a derived work, you had to include the copyright, the
license and the source code.

Then why this form:

"Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for
any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies."

should be "for sure" a permissive license instead?

Regards,
Massimo