[License-discuss] Is the OBM License OSD compatible?

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Jan 6 11:04:55 UTC 2017

On 06/01/17 10:55, Rick Moen wrote:
> Would that it were so.  Lingora characterise their additions near the top as
> 'Additional Terms pursuant to Section 7 of said license', and clearly
> intend this to refer _not_ to additional permissions, but rather to
> this bit slightly further on, in 7b):
>
>   Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, for material you
>   add to a covered work, you may (if authorized by the copyright holders
>   of that material) supplement the terms of this License with terms:

My understanding was that terms added under a) through f) were also
"additional permissions" and so could be removed. But re-reading the
license, you are right that it doesn't seem that way :-| This surprises
me. Does anyone know why the drafters chose not to make such added terms
removable? Is it because they are not all necessarily entirely permissive?

Section b) permits specification of the preservation of notices but
absolutely does not permit specification of their precise location. So
that part is clearly overreach.

Gerv