[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: NOSA 2.0, Copyfraud and the US Government

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Thu Aug 31 18:47:57 UTC 2017

We're doing something very close to, but not quite the same as what DDS is
suggesting; we're stating that if a work (or portion of a work) does not have
copyright attached within the US, then that work (or portion of a work) is
licensed world-wide under CC0.  All other works are licensed under an
OSI-approved license of some type.  To get a better sense of what I'm talking
about, clone
https://github.com/USArmyResearchLab/ARL-Open-Source-Guidance-and-Instructions
and checkout the 'develop' branch.  The reason for doing it this way is to
ensure that the license for a chunk of code remains the same regardless of
where it is in the world; without that guarantee, users would have to know
where they are to know if they are in compliance or not (under the DDS scheme,
flying from the lower 48 states through Canada to Alaska would mean that code
could go from being public domain, to copyrighted, to public domain
midflight).

All that said, your second point is EXACTLY the kind of issues I'm worried
about.  JOSS (http://joss.theoj.org/) is one journal that will only accept
code under OSI-approved licenses.  There may be others as well, but I haven't
done my homework on that.

In addition, there are projects (like Debian) that will only accept software
that is Open Source.  In the case of Debian, I think that CC0 + a patent
waiver would be sufficient (I haven't pushed this on the Debian lists, and I
can't speak for the Debian project, it is just my personal belief that it
would be OK), but I suspect that there are other projects where this isn't
possible, and your code has to be under an OSI-approved license to be
accepted.

Making CC0 + a patent release officially OSI-approved would solve a lot of
problems.  If you want an example of what ARL is doing, clone
https://github.com/USArmyResearchLab/ARL-Open-Source-Guidance-and-Instructions,
checkout the 'develop' branch, and look at LICENSE.txt.  It is an example of
where ARL is trying to go (note that the develop branch is not yet official
policy, and won't be until and unless it goes through ARL's official channels,
so take it as a possible direction we're going in).  I've combined CC0 and
Apache 2.0, explained which portions of the code are under which license, and
I've included the patent clause from the Apache license as a new clause
overriding the CC0 patent clause.  That might be sufficient for OSI as well.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

PS, I'm actively (as in whenever I'm not typing out emails today) working on
the develop branch, so depending on what time you clone it, you might see
different stuff up there.