[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: NOSA 2.0, Copyfraud and the US Government

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Mon Aug 28 20:32:49 UTC 2017

Stephen Michael Kellat dixit:

>them to fix this to be public domain globally is best done by amending

There’s no such thing as voluntarily releasing a work into
the Public Domain in several countries of the world, so this
is futile at best, worse hamful.

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) dixit:

>> So, in the end, “we” need a copyright licence “period”.
>
>Not exactly.  This is where CC0 comes into play, at least here at the

Yes, that’d be a way to express the same thing *if* CC0 were
sublicenseable. It currently sorta works, but…

>even if the work could have copyright attached in Germany, people
>there know that the work is under CC0. This covers the really hard
>question of a US Government work being exported to Germany, modified,
>and then re-exported back to the US. The goal (at least at ARL) is to

… this could be tricky.

If it were sublicenseable, the thing exported back to the USA
could be fully under a proper copyright licence as the work of
the person who created the modified work (assuming it passes
threshold of originality, of course).

But I’m assuming it’d also work with just CC0, except CC themselves
asked for it to not be certified as Open Source due to problems
with it (I don’t know which ones exactly).

>make sure that everyone world-wide knows what the terms are, and that
>they are the same regardless of where you live, and where you are

This is never true.

Under the Berne Convention, a work from country A is, in country B,
subject to the same protection as a work from country B. That means
for a work originating in the USA, in Germany, only(!) German copy‐
right law applies. In France, only French law, etc.

I kinda like Richard Fontana’s approach to state a proper Open Source
licence for where copyright law applies.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
11:56⎜«liwakura:#!/bin/mksh» also, i wanted to add mksh to my own distro │
i was disappointed that there is no makefile │ but somehow the Build.sh is