[License-discuss] Creative Commons vs private content

Joel Ray Holveck joelh at piquan.org
Thu Oct 20 10:44:16 UTC 2016

I'm not going to address whether or not this list is appropriate to discuss CC licenses, but I will offer a brief reply.  The short version is: these are not the licenses you're looking for.

Open source licenses always let me download a program to give to my neighbor.  Similarly, Creative Commons licenses always let me download a cultural work (such as a photograph) and give it to my neighbor.

Any license that divides the world into groups of "these people may see this work, but those other people may not" is not an open source license.  Similarly, the Creative Commons licenses always let me share a photograph with my neighbor, not just an organization member.

While I'm happy that you want to create a community for sharing culture, these licenses are about allowing everybody, not just your members, to share works freely.

I certainly hope you find a way to encourage people to create and share free cultural works for the benefit of everybody.  But for the portions of the site which you don't want people to share, you'll need another license.

Also note that (for example) CC-BY-SA works cannot be used as part of the "restricted" portions; the authors of CC-BY-SA have decided to let you remix their works only if you agree that everyone may share the final product.  (I'm summarizing; you can read the CC licenses for details.)

Joel