[License-discuss] Creative Commons vs private content

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Thu Oct 20 14:23:29 UTC 2016

Actually, you can limit the reuse of the pictures.  For my kid pics I mark them CC-BY-NC-ND.  If there are other kids in the pics I give their parents CC-BY-SA-NC so they can crop my kids out and use it a family photobook, christmas card, etc. which is precluded by the ND option if they want to give the photobook or card to grandma.  Under ND they can repost the original photo to Flickr but not remix, transform or build upon it.

If members (or the site) watermarks the photos, then CC-BY-NC-ND option may be good enough for your needs.   You could batch watermark photos uploaded to your site and serve the watermarked version to non-members with a CC-BY-NC-ND license (or not at all) and the original version to members with a less restrictive CC license.

You cannot AFAIK attach any additional restrictions as CC notes in the human readable license text:

  *   No additional restrictions - You may not apply legal terms or technological measures<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/#> that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

So dual licensing based on membership status may work for you as a solution.  The caveat is if a member reposts those photos on Flickr then anyone that gets it from there has that less restrictive CC license.

Depending on the goals of the organization CC-BY-SA-NC may or may not be a better default choice over plain CC-BY-SA.  As a parent I don't want my kids to end up in an ad campaign without my express permission.  I also don't want to get in trouble with other parents if their kids are in my photo.  If a non-profit or company wants to use the photo they can ask for permission.

IANAL, etc.

Regards,

Nigel