[License-discuss] Adding GPL Terms to FPL License Agreement

Michael L. Whitener MWhitener at vlplawgroup.com
Thu Jun 16 01:44:06 UTC 2016

Would love to get the group's input on the following issue.

I'm reviewing a software license agreement that purports to license software under the Free Public License 1.0.0 (FPL), which is quite permissive. The approved FPL license terms are included in the license grant.

But in a subsequent section of the license agreement, there's a requirement that if the licensee distributes the FPL-licensed software in source code, the distribution must be under GPL v.3 license terms.

To my mind, requiring that the software's source code can only be distributed under GPL terms directly contradicts, and is incompatible with, the permissive FPL terms.

Do you agree, or am I off-base?

Thanks,
Michael

This message contains information which may be confidential and legally privileged. Unless you are the addressee, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please send me an email and delete this message. Any tax advice provided by VLP is for your use only and cannot be used to avoid tax penalties or for promotional or marketing purposes.