[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Mon Jul 25 15:12:59 UTC 2016

Protections from liability from anyone that uses our code, for one thing.  I
am not a lawyer, but as I understand it putting stuff in the public domain
does not release you from liability, so without some kind of notice the USG
could be sued because bugs cause a crash at some point, causing harm, etc.,
etc., etc.  The 'no warranty' clause is something we have to have.  In fact,
if you read the CC0 license text
(https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode), even it has a
warranty disclaimer, and it is trying to waive all copyright to the maximum
extent possible.

Remember, the Apache license is using copyright to effect other protections.
We want those same protections for all parties involved in the code, both the
USG, and any person or entity that has copyright.  If we didn't care about any
of that, we could just toss it out as public domain code, but that (in my
personal opinion) is highly irresponsible.

Does this make things clearer?

Thanks,
Cem Karan