[License-discuss] AFL/OSL/NOSL 3.0

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Jan 19 02:17:21 UTC 2016

Hi Simon, I would have responded sooner but I went out to celebrate Martin Luther King day.

This is what it says on the OSI website about AFL 3.0. This summary is not particularly helpful, and the table below this notice on that page is also not very helpful to describe how or when to use the license.

Gives you a copyright and allows for a patent on the software so long as you include the original software, any of its copyrights or trademarks and a note saying that you modified it. Created by the same author as the Open Software License, this license is nearly identical but, unlike the Open Software License, not copyleft as it doesn't force derivative works to use the same license.

https://tldrlegal.com/license/academic-free-license-3.0-(afl), linked to by http://opensource.org/licenses/afl-3.0.

But I thank you for noting the reference at the bottom of that page to the explanation I wrote of this license. I missed seeing that. It explains what the note at the top doesn't.

As for the FSF's website, that's truly outrageous. Here's what it says:

The Academic Free License is a free software license, not copyleft, and incompatible with the GNU GPL. Recent versions contain contract clauses similar to the Open Software License <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#OSLRant> , and should be avoided for the same reasons.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

And they don't bother to include my own explanation of my licenses.

/Larry