[License-discuss] The License Talking-About List

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Aug 22 21:51:26 UTC 2016

Cem Karan wrote:

> I'm aware of the other list, but my understanding was that it had to be submitted to this list for discussion first, and then submitted to license-review once there was some consensus; am I wrong about this?

Cem, please don't feel bad about your confusion. I've been around these lists for years and I still get confused about their differences. You can't talk about license A without comparing it to license B, but those discussions may involve different email lists, at OSI and at FSF and at CC. And for additional confusion, lots of FOSS organizations like OSI move discussions from list to list merely to discuss everything a second time. It often permanently delays the decision (like the NASA and CC0 licenses have been delayed here). That was also often my email experience at Apache.

Someone ought to invent a better solution than email lists to analyze licenses and reach decisions.

/Larry