[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Thu Aug 18 15:03:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 02:50:18PM +0000, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) wrote:

> > Even if you were correct in the assertions you've made about ARL code, why
> > is a new license needed for contributors other than ARL?
>
> Are you suggesting a dual license scheme, where all copyrighted portions are
> under Apache 2.0, and all non-copyrighted portions are under the ARL OSL?

No, I'm just suggesting why not adopt a rule that all contributors
(other than ARL -- though for the reasons others have stated I think
this should also apply to ARL) license contributions under the Apache
License 2.0.

As a few have pointed out, all code that is nominally licensed under
open source licenses will contain noncopyrighted portions.