[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Wed Aug 17 14:03:03 UTC 2016

I have, but they've refused, and won't budge on it.

> I think many people on here are skeptical of the latter part of your
> analysis.  In fact, I suspect that virtually every piece of code licensed
> under Apache 2.0 has some parts that aren't subject to copyright, since they
> don't satisfy the provisions of 17 USC 102 and the various
> judicial tests to separate expressive vs. non-expressive content.

Possibly true.  If our management eventually says that they're willing to take
the risk and go with it, I'll be willing to drop the ARL OSL.  So far it
hasn't happened, and so far our lawyers are convinced that the copyright is
going to be a problem.

Thanks,
Cem Karan