[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Wed Aug 17 13:50:08 UTC 2016

Got it; I'm going to forward your comments to the ARL Lawyer I'm working with
to see what his opinion is. He's on vacation for another week though, so I
won't be able to give you a good response until then.

> Caselaw on this exact topic seems a mess. I don't know what would come of
> this; without getting into it, here's my suggestion, considering
> all I understand from your intentions:
>
> The interesting thing with your intended license/contract is that preemption
> doesn't matter for malevolent contributors: you can STILL
> make it so that contributors will provide their (presumably copyrightable)
> work under it, in your projects.
> Because only clauses
> 2 and 4 would be affected by preemption, redrafting the license/contract so
> that the rest stands in all cases should give you the same
> effect (or close).
>
> Apache license is almost unique in the following respect: there are 2
> explicit directions in which it works.
>
> Direction (1) - from USG/others to the world.
>
> Here you have the problem that if you start without copyright, and the
> license tries to usurp the domain of copyright rights, that can make
> it all fail. You said it yourself: the concern is that it depends on
> copyright, and thus may all be deemed invalid.
> Indeed, I'm just saying that recreating copyright-like rights via contract
> where title 17 clearly denied them,
> can also be deemed invalid.

Definitely bringing this up with our lawyers!  My intent was that if there was
copyright, then we could stand on copyright law; if there wasn't, then we'd
fallback onto contract law.  If the ARL OSL can't accomplish that, or worse,
manages to invalidate itself in some manner, then that is a serious problem.

> Direction (2) - from a "contributor" to USG and the world, via "intentional
> submission for inclusion in the Work" (clause 5).
>
> This direction (2) doesn't depend on copyright, nor on direction (1).
> In order to argue that
> it applies, at least in many cases, I'd suggest you need a good
> contract/license, one that would stand when someone "intentionally
> submits for inclusion in the Work to the Licensor". Because with a
> license/contract, ANY work "intentionally submitted" is licensed by its
> author under ARL OSL.
>
> Including patent grant, and things like the case you pointed out on
> wikipedia shouldn't happen.

Agreed!

> >> But I'm not sure what you're worried about, sue for what? These
> >> (a)-(d) obligations have nothing to do with suing users, do they? ARL
> >> OSL has all the other clauses, which apply fine regardless of whether
> >> the underlying Work is copyrighted or not, like disclaimers of
> >> liability and clause 5.
> >
> > No, the problem is that removing those terms suggests that you can
> > strip out the ARL OSL from any part that is in the public domain.
> > Once that happens, the material no longer has the ARL OSL protecting
> > downstream users from predatory and unscrupulous individuals.  That's all.
>
> ARL OSL would apply for the projects under ARL OSL, including
> *contributors* to these projects.
>
> It wouldn't apply if I take the software and reproduce it on my own (without
> contributing anything anywhere).

OK, so what you're saying is that some person A can download the software and
redistribute it to some person B.  A is under contract to the USG by the ARL
OSL, but since A didn't make a contribution, the contract terminates with that
person, leaving B free to sue over whatever claims they wish to make, correct?
I don't see how B can successfully sue A, because A can just point to the USG
stating that the USG was responsible for the code.  If B then sues the USG,
the USG will point at the ARL OSL which covers itself and all contributors. If
a particular contributor took B's copyrighted or patented work without
permission, then that contributor is at fault (the USG itself could be a
contributor, so it may have to defend itself in court as well).  B may be able
to sue over liability, but I'm not sure how that would play out (another
question for ARL Legal).

> It wouldn't apply if I make a derivative work and try to fool my downstream
> by, I don't know, revoking the license I claimed to give them.
> But that's also true of Apache License 2.0.

So the ARL OSL is compatible with Apache 2.0 in that way too! ;)

Thanks,
Cem Karan