[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Tue Aug 16 20:58:11 UTC 2016

The issue is the one that the Apache 2.0 license solves, and that the ARL OSL
is attempting to solve for works that don't have copyright attached.
Basically, clause 3 in each of the licenses means that you can't contribute
software that has patents on it, and then sue everyone for using said
contribution.  Putting everything under CC0 doesn't protect the USG or anyone
that uses USG-sponsored projects from being sued, which at the very least
would be embarrassing, and in the worst-case, damaging to Open Source in
general.  I want to avoid that issue entirely by having a license that will
stand up in court that makes it clear that contributors ARE licensing all
patents and other necessary IP rights when they contribute.

Thanks,
Cem Karan