[License-discuss] licenses for hosted services

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 22:06:52 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net>
wrote:

> There is a large gap between "selling or giving away the software" and
> running the software.  I'm not talking about any restrictions on
> distributing the software.

  The OSD was built upon the Free Software definition, and "The freedom to
run the program as you wish, for any purpose" is known as freedom 0.
Freedom 0 is what you are trying to restrict.

  Most (but not all, AGPL being a counter-example) FLOSS licenses only
trigger on distribution specifically to clarify that private use and
modification of the software is not restricted at all (Including whether
that use is for-profit or otherwise).

  What you are trying to build is a non-FLOSS business model. Please expect
the longer you insist that what you are wanting to do is FLOSS compatible
the more aggressive people will become in suggesting you look elsewhere.
Any license you come up with that restricts the way you wish will be
neither Open Source nor Free Software, and thus is really off-topic for
this forum.

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property rights
as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition! http://l.c11.ca/ict/

manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or portable
media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own