[License-discuss] licenses for hosted services

Kevin Fleming kevin+osi at kpfleming.us
Fri Aug 5 21:52:01 UTC 2016

Keep in mind also that if you have any plans to accept contributions to
this codebase (having it be an open source project, instead of just open
source software), using such a license could be quite an impediment. Having
additional copyright holders, who are potentially involved in any actions
you might take to enforce the 'no SaaS for money' restriction, might be
complex (at best).

As far as places to discuss such things, there are probably few public
forums in which such discussions might happen, due to the fact that you'll
rapidly enter the domain of 'legal advice' and finding attorneys who will
provide such advice for free in a public forum for a license which won't
meet the OSD seems unlikely. The OSD says (in clause 6):

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a
specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program
from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

That's pretty clear.