[License-discuss] licenses for hosted services

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Aug 5 17:35:44 UTC 2016

Hi Folks,

I'm working on some code that will eventually be made available as both
open source code, and a hosted service (think Wordpress, Drupal, etc.).

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience or thoughts about licenses
that permit self-hosting, and free hosting, but require a license fee
for for-profit hosting.

It strikes me that hosting is a reasonable business model for generating
sustaining revenue from open source code, but that it gets diluted very
quickly if anybody can free-ride (i.e., as much as I find it convenient
to, at times, set up a quick wordpress account on godaddy - it strikes
me as just a might unfair that I'm paying godaddy, but they're not
paying the folks at wordpress, and worse, they're siphoning off
customers from wordpress).

Anybody have thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Miles Fidelman