[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Wed Aug 3 13:17:32 UTC 2016

I just got off the phone with Page Miller in the US Copyright office (http://www.copyright.gov/).  She is the person at the USG that specializes in these types of questions.  She told me that the Berne convention does not change laws in individual countries, it just removes certain formalities.  As such, if the foreign government permits the USG to hold copyright in the foreign country, then the USG is permitted to do so.  You can contact the copyright office at copyinfo at loc.gov.  If you put in a line like 'Attention: Page Miller', it will get routed to her to answer.

So, the very latest position of the USG is that it can apply for copyright protections for USG-produced works that have no copyright within the US.

Thanks,
Cem Karan