[License-discuss] Companies that encourage license violations

Chris Ochs chris at ochsnet.com
Tue Sep 8 22:02:12 UTC 2015

I'm not an attorney but I'd think that a copyright itself cannot be
copyright protected.  And I would also think that no judge in the world is
going to hand out damages for something like this where the substantive
difference is absolutely zero.

Plus, the common case for most newer open source projects is that you don't
have notices on each file.

As a business person I look at how likely is something in the real world.
Sure an attorney can try to make any argument they want, but in order to
make that argument someone has to pay them to get all the way to court with
it.   IMO that's why there is often a lack of legal precedence for stuff
that seems obvious.  Because it is obvious and no one is going to pay good
money to be told the obvious (or at least very rarely so)