[License-discuss] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

cowan at ccil.org cowan at ccil.org
Thu May 28 13:37:41 UTC 2015

Richard Eckart de Castilho scripsit:

> Actually, I wonder how this licensing term goes along with the OSI rule
> "9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software".

That's not meant to apply to "other software" of which the licensed software
is a part.  The annotated OSD says:

9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software

The license must not place restrictions on other software that is
distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license
must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium
must be open-source software.

Rationale: Distributors of open-source software have the right to make
their own choices about their own software.

Yes, the GPL v2 and v3 are conformant with this requirement. Software
linked with GPLed libraries only inherits the GPL if it forms a single
work, not any software with which they are merely distributed.

(ends)

Don't judge a book by its cover or a clause by its title.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
My confusion is rapidly waxing
For XML Schema's too taxing:
I'd use DTDs / If they had local trees --
I think I best switch to RELAX NG.