[License-discuss] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Wed May 27 16:41:55 UTC 2015

Thanks, without the context it was somewhat harder to follow on license-discuss.

Consider this a vote in the negative as a non-member user of Apache software. If I have to start checking every Apache package for GPL code I'll have to strongly recommend that we approach all Apache packages with caution.

Becoming a "universal acceptor" significantly impacts your ability to be a "universal donor".  I have no desire to accidentally be the cause of any organization I work for becoming the test case for what is an aggregation vs what is a derivative.  If Apache was willing to indemnify downstream users...yah, I didn't think so.

Nice try though.