[License-discuss] Shortest copyleft licence

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Tue Mar 31 18:11:27 UTC 2015

On 3/31/15, 1:59 PM, "Maxthon Chan" <xcvista at me.com> wrote:

>I have a gut feeling that this thread have somewhat common point as my
>³simple English BSD equivalent² thread as there are just too many
>politics and complexities involved in those licenses and engineers, being
>not-so-professional in law, gets confused easily.
>
>I still remembered my days reading through 17 USC and Chinese copyright
>law just to grasp an idea on how copyright works, and before I filed my
>patents I bought a book on how patent laws work. I have to educate myself
>in those legal concepts just to protect my own work.

If only there were some (mostly) apolitical organization that could hire
lawyers and create a universal set of attribution and share alike software
licenses that would work across legal systems (with variants if required
under the hood) with simple ways to mix and match features to achieve the
desire of the developer in a commonly understood way.