[License-discuss] [FTF-Legal] Reverse Engineering and Open Source Licenses

Reincke, Karsten k.reincke at telekom.de
Wed Mar 25 14:49:01 UTC 2015

Dear Ben;

During the last week, I thoroughly restudied the issues and especially your answers. Now I am going to integrate the discussions of the mailing lists into my article for having a better document than before. But at first let me complete our dispute for being able to generate adequate summaries:

(1) I welcome that we have at least one common viewpoint: the need of allowing reverse engineering is a consequence of the of target to preserve the freedom to update an LGPL licensed library wherever it is used. I am sorry for not having discussed the spirit of reverse engineering in the context of free software. I will add such a section.

(2) I think, now I also got the details of your viewpoint: If someone distributes a dynamically linkable application without distributing the library at any point, then it is - as you assume - unclear whether he has also to allow reverse engineering. In your words: it is a grey area. But - as its' opposite - you claimed that distributing said application and library together triggers the copyright license provisions.

(3) Based on these two alternatives you summarizes, that my "paper indicates that dynamic linking [totally] gets you out of trouble". You stated that my paper said that "distributing said application and library together does not trigger the copyright license provision".

After having restudied all aspects let me clearly answer this:

Whenever you distribute an LGPL licensed Library, you have to fully respect all requirements of the LGPL license. (Moreover, you have to respect the conditions even if you are only using it without distributing it.) This does not depend on the way you distribute it: you have to respect the rules regardless whether you distribute the LGPL-lib [a] as part of a statically linked app or [b] as part of a package containing the dynamically linkable app and the lib or [c] as only loosely 'linked' download offers or [d] as an isolated lib-package. This is because distributing a lib - as you wrote - "triggers the copyright license provision".

I hope to get an 'exactly' again ;-)

Then you asked  me by hinting to section 6 and its phrase "combine or link" and to the definition of the preamble concerning a "combined work", whether I refuse to conclude that a combined work that uses dynamic linking is subject to the provisions of section 6?

So, it is time to reply: First of all, no part of my article denies this viewpoint. Moreover, it implies the validity of your statement. I do not refuse it! Moreover, I (implicitly) postulate that also distributing a combined work that uses dynamic linking triggers the task to respect the rules of the LGPL.

So, by accepting this fact, one of the two main questions is what the LGPL itself says. Accepting THAT you have to respect the rules does not anything about the meaning of the rule. I think that we will easily agree concerning the distribution of the library itself. You have to make known its use, you have to distribute the license text, you have to make accessible the source code of the library, especially if you have modified the lib, etc. etc.

But that is not the topic of my article! So, I do not talk about the topic how to compliantly distribute an LGPL library. My article talks about the necessity to allow to reverse engineer the application using the lib. And because I presuppose the validity and responsibility of the LGPL, I analyze what the license text itself says, especially §6.

But now we have closed the circle!! In the beginning of our discussion you said that my reading and analyzing of the §6 is "a ridiculously heavyweight way of thinking about things". Now, at the end, our total discussion confirmed me, that it is not:

If you accept that you have to respect the license, then you have to read it exactly. And indeed, you can carve out, that §6 contains a condition (roughly) saying, that if you compliantly distribute a work using the library which contains portions of the lib, then you have to allow reverse engineering. And now one directly sees, that the trigger for this rule is the fact that you distribute a work containing portions of the lib. So, the next question is: does a dynamically linkable application contains portions of the lib? And the answer of the question depends on §5 of the LGPL: up to a specific size of such a dynamically linkable application it does not contain portions [even if factually it contains small portions].

Unfortunately, for carving out this argumentation exactly, one has to do a lot of work. I accept, that you do not want to read the article, at least not step by step. No problem! But, as an alternative, picking out some words from the license text without considering the syntactic, semantic, and logical structure of the sentences as whole does not deduce a valid statements about the license text.

I regret for not having pointed out, that beside the license text itself there exist a tradition of understanding delivered by additional documents of the copyright holders which may become crucial in case of fighting a legal case. That's the argument of Eben Moglen: With respect to the legal context, the intention and the meaning of a license is not in the license text, it is in the copyright holders. I will add a delimitation into my article which clearly states, that I am talking about the text itself.

But I do not regret to emphasize the meaning and the significance of license text itself, especially in its full complexity. Moreover, I think, that to weaken the license text itself by additional exegetical texts and statements damages the open source and free software movement. I believe in the force of the license texts. They have established the free and open source community. They are strong enough to do it in the future, too. Unfortunately, we have to read them in detail.

So, I personally will furthermore focus on the 'pure' license text for using open source software compliantly. Primarily I focus on the license as it has been written (and secondly on some constraints of my legal environment.) And I know, that I am in good company: All the distributed free and open source licenses want that the distributed packages of free and open source software contain a copy of the license. So finally, the licensor (copyright holder) himself decided to distribute his conditions of use in form of a license text. Not in form of FAQs, mailing list comments, or anything. He selected the license text as his medium to communicate the rules he wants to be respected. That's why we have to consider the license text.

--
Deutsche Telekom Technik GmbH  / Infrastructure Cloud
Karsten Reincke, PMP®, Senior Experte Key Projekte - Open Stack Komplexitäts- und Compliancemanagement