[License-discuss] Software, licenses, and patents

cowan at ccil.org cowan at ccil.org
Thu Mar 12 21:14:02 UTC 2015

Jonathon Blake scripsit:

> Question:
> Should developer make any notation about possible patents that the
> software _might_ infringe upon?

When it comes to patents, ignorance is bliss, because of the treble
damages for willful violations.  All programmers should be on notice
by now that anything they do may violate some patent somewhere.
No need to stir up deep, muddy waters.

I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice.  This is not the unauthorized
practice of law, either.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
'Tis the Linux rebellion / Let coders take their place,
The Linux-nationale / Shall Microsoft outpace,
We can write better programs / Our CPUs won't stall,
So raise the penguin banner of / The Linux-nationale.  --Greg Baker