[License-discuss] Reverse Engineering and Open Source Licenses

Johnny A. Solbu johnny at solbu.net
Thu Mar 12 07:12:56 UTC 2015

On Thursday 12. March 2015 02.12, Pamela Chestek wrote:
> But that's the acceptance by breaking the wrapper, not just by virtue of being printed.

I remember in Norway where I live, it was common in the 1990s to have wrapped software CDs with a seal that said something to the effect of «by breaking this seal, you accept the enclosed license».
A later court rulling stated that the license in such cases where invalid/not enforceable because the licensee could not read the terms of the enclosed contract before agreeing to it. The holder of the software copy did therefore not have to abide by the license restrictions.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site,   http://www.solbu.net