[License-discuss] Reverse Engineering and Open Source Licenses

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Wed Mar 11 22:24:41 UTC 2015

>> Do you have an example where paying for a tangible article has been construed by a court as contractual acceptance of a restrictive term printed on it?

The conditional sale cases under the patent law (of which there are but a few, the Mallinckrodt case being the most notable:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallinckrodt,_Inc._v._Medipart,_Inc. ) might be an example, although I don't recall if there was any sort of true "contract" analysis in that case.  There is some debate as to whether the conditional sale cases are good law anymore post the US Supreme Court's Quanta decision: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanta_Computer,_Inc._v._LG_Electronics,_Inc.

I'll let any law professors on the mailing list further elucidate the latter question.