[License-discuss] Reverse Engineering and Open Source Licenses

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 03:14:48 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-06 05:30 PM, lkcl . wrote:
>   i assume also, thufir, that you have read, understood, and agree that
> if 77 highly intelligent and prominent computer scientists - many of
> them having NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GPL - go to the extraordinary
> lengths of submitting an amicus brief against the copyrighting of
> APIs, that the issue of why copyrighting of APIs is extremely bad for
> the entire software industry and is a GENERAL PROBLEM NOT SPECIFIC TO
> THE GPL.

No, I do not agree with your assertion on the value of polling. Polls,
even amongst distinguished scientists, have nothing to do with what's
right, wrong, moral, legal, or even a good idea.  Well, I'll have to
backtrack and say that a poll of the Supreme Court would show what's
legal ;)

There are other amicus briefs; I'm more than willing to delve into
details if you like.

I only cc'ed you because  I quoted you, so figured you should at least
be aware of that, and, you (I think) cc'ed on another discussion from
someone asking for archives on another list (very strange question).

-Thufir

-Thufir