[License-discuss] International Licenses

Mike Milinkovich mike at opensource.org
Fri Jun 5 01:53:08 UTC 2015

At our last face-to-face meeting, the OSI Board discussed the topic of
FLOSS licenses targeted at specific languages and jurisdictions. As you can
imagine, with the interest in reducing license proliferation, the
conversation was quite lively. However, if we want open source to be a
truly worldwide movement, it seems unreasonable to insist that English be
the only language allowed.

As a result, we would like to propose the following:

   - A new category of open source licenses would be created for those
   targeting specific languages and jurisdictions.

   - The normal public license review process would be used to debate the
   merits of the license. However, we would add a criteria targeted at
   preventing code under the class of licenses from being "orphaned". (This
   may, for example, be addressed in candidate licenses by explicitly allowing
   re-licensing under other well-known licenses.)

   - A certified English translation must accompany the license. We require
   a certified English language translation of the license in order to conduct
   the license review process, which uses open discussion between many people
   who share English as a second language regardless of their first language.
   Submitters can meet this requirement by accompanying the translation with
   an affidavit from the translator on which the translator has sworn, in the
   presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the place
   where the affidavit is sworn, that the contents of the translation are a
   true translation and representation of the contents of the original
   document. The affidavit must include the date of the translation and the
   full name and contact details of the translator.

   - When you offer your license(s) to the review process, you should be
   aware that change to the license is probable and be prepared to iterate.
   Certified translations will not be essential for every iteration but the
   final iteration must be accompanied by a certified translation.

We would appreciate your thoughts and comments.