[License-discuss] FAQ entry on CLAs

Engel Nyst engel.nyst at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 14:14:58 UTC 2015

On 01/19/2015 08:04 PM, jonathon wrote:
> Some organizations use the CLA so that when license violations are
> found, if the violator refuses to correct the problem, pursuing
> legal remedies is much easier.

CLA stands for contributor *license* agreement. It's a non-exclusive
license, plus some stuff. A non-exclusive licensee doesn't have standing
for license enforcement. One needs to be copyright holder or exclusive
licensee to pursue legal action. (in US)

This is one of the reasons why lumping CLAs and CAAs together tends to
confuse. It creates a nebulous feeling that maybe CLAs "help" too. I
don't think they do.

--
~ "We like to think of our forums as a Free-Speech Zone. And freedom
works best at the point of a bayonet." (Amazon, Inc.)