[License-discuss] FAQ entry on CLAs

Radcliffe, Mark Mark.Radcliffe at dlapiper.com
Sun Jan 18 19:57:28 UTC 2015

I am the counsel to OSI.  As Allison noted, most OSI approved licenses can be used for inbound use, but we do not take a position on that issue in approving licenses.  Different communities have different approaches, the Apache Software Foundation uses specific CLAs for its projects (and some projects using the Apache Software License use the ASL as the CLA) and FSF has long used an assignment approach.  Thus, the approval of a license by OSI as meeting the criteria of the OSD does not reflect a review of the use of the license as "inbound" but only "outbound".