[License-discuss] FAQ entry on CLAs

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Jan 18 03:39:18 UTC 2015

Lawrence Rosen scripsit:

> > Open source licenses grant things to whomever has the source code;....
>
> Do you mean "grant things to whomever accepts the terms and conditions of
> the license"?

Well, for some licenses.  The BSD licenses don't appear to require
any sort of acceptance:  they just say "We grant you the rights to do
X provided A and B are the case and C is not the case."  That doesn't
sound in contract as far as I can see: it's got the flavor of a bare
license to trespass on land.

[.sig below chosen at random!]

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
It is revolting to have no better reason for a rule of law than that so it was
laid down in the time of Henry IV. It is still more revolting if the grounds
upon which it was laid down have vanished long since, and the rule simply
persists from blind imitation of the past. --Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.